With average London house prices reported to have dropped by 2.6%, we’re sure you’ll be surprised to know that the Croydon area has remained relatively stable in comparison. Taking this into consideration, at Albion Windows we’ve experienced a real increase in homeowners coming to us looking for a cost effective and quick way to add extra value onto their London home.
What home improvement will add the most value to my home?
The top five home improvements that add the most value to residential property are:
- Loft Conversion
- Extra bathroom
- New kitchen
If these top five were in order of economic efficiency, conservatories would definitely feature at Number One! Adding far more than their initial cost, on average conservatories can add between 5-7% onto the property value. Depending on your budget and type of conservatory you want, adding a bright sunny room to the mix is a swift way of delivering extra space for less.
Q: Do I need planning permission?
A: Normally considered as ‘permitted development’, a conservatory won’t need planning permission if certain rules are adhered to, including:
- Roof no higher than original roof
- Floor area doesn’t exceed 30m2
- Maximum height of extension 4m high
- Must not extend more than 3m beyond rear wall of property or 4m if detached
- Listed buildings or properties in conservation areas may have restrictions imposed on them
Dependant on the type and size of conservatory required, be sure to contact your local planning authority to be clear on localised planning rules and restrictions that could affect your plans.
Q: How do I make sure I get the best investment for my money?
A: Follow our five point conservatory checklist:
- Use Quality Materials
- Strike a balance between extra room and minimising outdoor space
- Avoid a ‘bolt-on’; integrate your London conservatory with the periodic style of your home
- Enhance the feeling of space throughout the downstairs living area by using the same flooring throughout
- Whatever end of the market your property falls in, it’s essential to stick rigidly to the fundamentals of good conservatory design and make sure the glazed part faces southwards
It’s no surprise that conservatories are a much-demanded feature in the property market, making them ideal for anyone looking to sell, and a wise investment for the future. So, come and see our conservatories for yourself in one of showrooms in either Bromley or Croydon. Or contact Albion Windows today to discuss your home improvements further.